The fifth annual Westerville City Schools Middle School Invention Convention was held at Blendon Middle School on April 9, where 42 students represented each of the four middle schools.
Sponsored by the Gifted Education Department and each middle school, students competed at the building level and were invited to the district competition to set up displays and be judged by a panel of distinguished educators, administrators, and community members.
At the awards ceremony, first- through third-place prizes were given to each grade level. Then, the top five overall inventions were named. Those five inventions and their inventors will move on to compete at the 18th annual Columbus Invention Convention, which will take place at Columbus State Community College on Saturday, May 17.
* Kyra Freeman, Genoa, Arthur Gloves.
* Olivia Horlocker, Genoa, Thread Master Sew-Lou-Tion.
* Hanna Bova and Lauren Tucker, Genoa, Magnet Styler.
* Zack Glorioso, Genoa, The Baggage Buddy.
* Patrick Sullivan, Genoa, Arthur Gloves.