Students have left the buildings and construction crews have moved in.
The Westerville City School District will spend more than $4.5 million on capital improvement work this summer.
"The challenge is we have about 10 weeks to pull this off," said Jeff LeRose, director of facilities and operations for the district.
Westerville South High School, Blendon Middle School and Annehurst Elementary School will receive kitchen renovations this summer. The projects include updated counters and new food service equipment.
"Its design is twofold. It's to help get students through the line quicker as well as providing opportunity for more course offerings," LeRose said.
The work is funded by the food service department's current cash balance and will cost $472,500. The contractor is 2K General Co.
As part of a capital improvements levy approved in 2009, Lepi Enterprises will perform various asbestos abatement work, including: window replacements at South; exterior door replacement at Emerson Elementary School, Hanby Elementary School and South; locker replacement at Westerville North High School and South; and floor replacement at Walnut Springs Middle School, LeRose said.
The abatement work will cost $145,876 -- $7,124 less than the original estimate, he said.
The music wing at South will also be reconfigured, uniting three smaller rooms into one large room that will be used by the orchestra.
Also, B&C Blacktop will be repaving areas throughout the district to repair winter damage. The work will cost $242,000.
Other work this summer includes:
• Partial roof replacement at Hanby, Mark Twain Elementary School and Robert Frost Elementary School.
• Partial HVAC replacement at Hawthorne Elementary School and Blendon.
• Masonry repairs on Hanby's exterior.
• Track renovations at Westerville Central High School.
• New lockers at Blendon, Walnut Springs and Heritage middle schools.
• A new Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant restroom at Walnut Springs.
• Lightning replacement at Mark Twain, McVey Elementary School, Robert Frost, Blendon and Heritage.
• Replacing the sound system in South's auditorium.
All work is scheduled to be finished by Aug. 4. School starts Aug. 13.