For most hospital security officers, delivering children isn't part of the job description.

For most hospital security officers, delivering children isn't part of the job description.

But Mount Carmel St. Ann's late night security officer Scott Crites is not like most hospital security officers.

And when soon-to-be father Michael Ofori ran into the hospital in the early hours of Thursday, June 19, to get help, it was Crites' time to shine.

"The father came in and said, 'The baby's coming, the baby's coming,' " Crites recalled.

When he ran to the parking lot, Faustina Sekyerah, the mother, was well into labor, and her daughter had already started crowning. Crites immediately snapped into action.

"As soon as I got out, I saw that the baby's head was about to come out," Crites told ThisWeek. "(Sekyerah) was just standing there, and I just dropped to my knees and started delivering the baby."

The child was Sekyerah's second, and the quick delivery was a total surprise for the couple, who lives just 5 minutes from St. Ann's in north Columbus.

Her first delivery took nearly three days of labor. And her doctor recently told her she would have two hours after her water broke to get to the hospital. She didn't think she had to hurry.

"It was really fast; I thought it would take longer," she said. "It's really crazy. I was thinking I could come in and relax before the baby comes."

But there would be no relaxing for any of the involved parties.

Crites, 64, said he "didn't have time to think," but was aware enough to instruct Ofori to call a "code blue" for available nurses.

"As I was delivering the baby, I had to walk him through pressing the call button on the walkie-talkie to contact people. It was kind of comical; it took us three tries to do it," Crites said with a laugh.

For Crites, the delivery seemed to be destiny.

While other security guards take the occasional training each year to deal with emergency medical situations, Crites had a specific feeling that he would be needed in an impromptu delivery room someday.

"I've worked the security desk for three and a half years. I knew invariably that sooner or later, I was going to have to help deliver a baby," he said. "I have my own training. Once or twice a year, I'll get onto the American Medical Association website and study birthing videos. I knew it would have to happen sooner or later."

The baby, Stacy Ofori, was delivered at 3:35 a.m., and left St. Ann's Friday, June 20, with her mother. Both were happy and healthy.

When Sekyerah, a 31-year-old Ghana native, saw Crites the day after the delivery, she said she immediately ran up to him with open arms.

"I hugged him and thanked him," she said. "It was awesome."

The moment wasn't too bad for Crites, either.

"It was beautiful," he said. "I walked in and we just hugged each other. It was a sentimental moment. The family had some tears and I was a little emotional, too. I got to hold the baby and talk to the parents a little bit."

A native of Lima, Ohio, and resident of Groveport, Crites said the experience made him appreciate his own family even more, and said that the adventure of delivering a child gave him a feeling that he had never encountered before.

"The most important thing to me was in that short period of time the bond I felt with the family," he said. "It was a very emotional time."

Two days later, Crites said the night still seemed surreal, but he was thrilled to be a part of it.

"I just sat back, pondered the moment and realized I got to experience a beautiful moment with the family," he said.

"I just thank the Lord everything came out well. You're in kind of disbelief. It kind of hits you after it happens, and there's a feeling of satisfaction."