Whitehall: Officers chase one man, apprehend another, find unrelated firearm
Whitehall police arrested a 21-year-old Reynoldsburg man for aggravated menacing and fleeing May 28 after he allegedly pointed a gun at a girl at East Main Street and South Hamilton Road.
Police reported the man allegedly pointed a gun from his vehicle at a 14-year-old girl. Officers in the vicinity quickly spotted the car that was described and initiated a traffic stop at East Main Street and South Yearling Road.
The man did not immediately stop, leading police to Marley Court in Columbus.
The man ran from the car to the backyard of a residence in the 1800 block of Marley Court. A female passenger remained in the vehicle.
The officer reported the man appeared to have a firearm.
While chasing the suspect, the officer saw another man who appeared to flee. That man failed to jump a fence and was ordered at gunpoint to lie on the ground.
While waiting for backup, the officer reported multiple people gathered and threatened him, saying, "You ain't Columbus; you ain't got no authority."
Columbus police responded, and the man Whitehall police had detained had no identification and was released. He was not the driver officers initially were chasing.
Police learned from the female passenger that the Marley Court residence into which the driver ran was her mother's house.
While at the Marley Court residence, the female passenger identified a woman who had arrived at the scene as "the girl that had the guns."
Police questioned the woman, who said she had met the suspect in Whitehall to return property to him, including a shotgun and a pistol.
After receiving the firearms, he allegedly pointed one at the woman's 14-year-old daughter.
The suspect who allegedly pointed the gun remained barricaded for a short while inside the Marley Court residence before surrendering without further incident, police said.
The man told police he had discarded the firearms while running and an unidentified friend retrieved them.
Police found a firearm in the area, but it is not believed to be one of the firearms the man discarded.
In other recent incident reports from Whitehall police:
* Police reported a robbery at 6:35 p.m. May 23 in the 3900 block of Beechcreek Road.
* A robbery was reported at 9:40 a.m. May 27 in the 3900 block of East Broad Street.
* An assault was reported at 9:50 a.m. May 24 in the 4000 block of East Main Street.
* Police reported an assault at 11:55 p.m. May 26 in the 200 block of Barkley Place West.
* An assault was reported at 4:40 p.m. May 28 in the 4800 block of Etna Road.
* Police reported an assault at 7:50 p.m. May 29 at an apartment in the first block of Fairway Boulevard.
* An assault was reported at 10 a.m. May 30 in the 1100 block of South Hamilton Road.
* Police reported a vehicle was stolen at 4 a.m. May 27 in the 4700 block of East Broad Street.
* A theft was reported at 4:30 a.m. May 23 in the 5000 block of Dimson Drive North.
* Police reported a burglary at 9:10 a.m. May 23 in the 4200 block of Rickenbacker Avenue.
* A burglary was reported at 11:15 a.m. May 23 at an apartment in the 5300 block of Great Oak Way.
* A burglary was reported at 10:55 a.m. May 24 in the 400 block of Beechtree Road.
* Police reported a burglary at 8:40 p.m. May 25 at an apartment in the 100 block of Parklawn Boulevard.
* A burglary was reported at 1:20 p.m. May 28 in the 500 block of South Hamilton Road.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 9:50 p.m. May 23 in the 500 block of Maplewood Avenue. No suspects or physical evidence were identified.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 3:40 a.m. May 25 in the 100 block of Maplewood Avenue.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 9:25 p.m. May 26 in the 200 block of Robinwood Avenue.
* Police arrested a 25-year-old man for criminal damaging at 10:50 p.m. May 24 in the 800 block of Valerie Lane.
* A theft was reported at 2:35 p.m. May 26 in the 4300 block of San Jose Lane.
* Police arrested a 28-year-old Pataskala woman and a 27-year-old Whitehall woman on charges of theft, drug abuse and contributing to the delinquency of a minor at 11:15 p.m. May 27 in the 3600 block of East Main Street.
* A breaking-and-entering incident was reported at 3:15 a.m. May 29 in the 4300 block of East Broad Street.