Whitehall: Man flees on motorcycle, crashes, faces felony charge
Whitehall police arrested a 21-year-old man for felony fleeing at 1:30 p.m. Aug. 27 after he attempted to elude police on a motorcycle.
The man crashed the motorcycle and ran into an apartment in the 1000 block of Irongate Lane, where he was apprehended.
Columbus police notified Whitehall police they were in pursuit of the motorcyclist in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road. The motorcycle was connected to a robbery the previous day, according to the report.
Whitehall police observed the motorcycle turning east onto East Main Street from the parking lot of a store at East Main Street and South Hamilton Road.
Traffic flow was heavy, police reported, and the two eastbound lanes were uneven, about three inches apart in height, because of an ongoing repaving project.
Police estimated the driver was traveling about 70 to 80 mph while weaving in and out of traffic on the uneven lanes.
The driver entered the parking lot of a strip mall at East Main Street and Fountain Lane, going momentarily airborne while crossing speed bumps.
The driver crashed the motorcycle and then ran into a nearby apartment in the 1000 block of Irongate Lane. Whitehall police found the man hiding under a bed.
He was turned over to Columbus police.
In other Whitehall Division of Police incident reports:
* Police arrested a 27-year-old man who was wanted on multiple warrants, including assault on a police officer, Aug. 24 at an apartment in the 100 block of North Yearling Road.
A woman told police the man had arrived at her apartment. He also was wanted on a warrant for previously assaulting the woman who called police about his presence.
The woman gave police a key to the apartment, and police found the man inside. He was arrested inside without incident but became uncooperative and attempted to assault officers and kicked the interior of the cruiser, according to the report.
The man also head-butted an officer at the Franklin County Jail and yelled obscenities. Additional charges, apart from those for the warrants, are expected to be filed, police said.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 7:35 p.m. Aug. 22 in the 4600 block of East Main Street. No physical evidence or suspects were identified.
* A theft was reported at 3 p.m. Aug. 23 in the 4000 block of Beechbank Road.
* Police reported a vehicle was stolen at 6 a.m. Aug, 23 in the 1000 block of Fountain Lane.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 1:45 a.m. Aug. 24 on Irongate Lane.
* Police arrested a 44-year-old man for breaking and entering at 5:30 a.m. Aug. 24 in the 3700 block of East Broad Street.
* A burglary was reported at 3:35 p.m. Aug. 25 in the 4300 block of Etna Road.
* Police arrested a 26-year-old man for assault at an apartment in the 1000 block of Irongate Lane.
* A breaking-and-entering incident was reported at 11:15 a.m. Aug. 26 in the 4100 block of East Main Street.
* Police arrested a 15-year-old boy for receiving stolen property at 5 p.m. Aug. 26 in the 100 block of Beechcreek Road.
* A theft was reported at 9:10 a.m. Aug. 27 in the 5000 block of Dimson Drive South.
* Police reported a burglary at 2:50 p.m. Aug. 27 at a residence in the 800 block of Rosemore Avenue.
* Police arrested a 54-year-old man for criminal trespassing at 6 p.m. Aug. 27 in the 4500 block of East Main Street.
* Police arrested a 20-year-old man or assault and domestic violence at 10:45 p.m. Aug. 27 in the 300 block of Pineview Drive.
* Police arrested a 38-year-old man for aggravated burglary at 8:25 a.m. Aug. 28 at an apartment in the 4600 block of East Main Street.
* Police arrested a 36-year-old man for tampering with evidence at 10:30 p.m. Aug. 28 in the first block of Woodcliff Drive.
* Property destruction was reported at 3:15 a.m. Aug. 29 in the 400 block of South Yearling Road.