This year's annual spring opening of the Orange Johnson House will celebrate the 200th anniversary of the original structure built by Aurora Buttles.

This year's annual spring opening of the Orange Johnson House will celebrate the 200th anniversary of the original structure built by Aurora Buttles.

The museum house will be open from 2 to 5 p.m. this Sunday, April 3, and on April 17, when costumed docents will demonstrate domestic activities as they would have been performed 200 years ago.

Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for children. The Orange Johnson House, owned and operated by the Worthington Historical Society, is located at 956 High St.

Buttles built the original six-room house facing the village in 1811. Early in 1812, before leaving for war, he advertised it as a "large brick dwelling house."

It was built on 35 acres, part of a choice farm lot he had inherited from his father, Levi Buttles. Levi was one of Worthington's original settlers.

Orange Johnson purchased the house in 1816 for $1,500. Three years later, he added the Federal-style brick addition that now faces High Street.

The keeping room of the original house has been restaged to more closely reflect domestic pioneer activities.

The downstairs exhibit space will examine Worthington in 1811 with displays that include many of the tools used by those living in the young town.

On April 17, costumed docents will demonstrate activities in the yard, including spring planting and butter-churning. Children will be able to try their hands at the activities as well.

Steve Frazier will interpret building techniques that Aurora Buttles would have used during his lifetime.

For more information, including additional open house times, contact the Worthington Historical Society online at info@worthingtonhistory.org or call (614) 854-9726.