From TWHS to Brookside
Girard leaving AD position for school principal job
Dan Girard is going back to elementary school.
The Thomas Worthington High School athletics director has opted to become principal of Brookside Elementary School next year, replacing Fritz Monroe, who is retiring.
Girard has been athletics director for three years. He previously was principal at Slate Hill Elementary School.
Scott Dorne will step in as athletics director next year.
Dorne is athletics and activities director at Westerville South High School. He has held that position since 2009.
His salary in Worthington will be $91,642.
The Worthington Board of Education hired him during its April 8 meeting.
Another Westerville staff member, Suzanne Palmer, was hired as the district's coordinator of gifted services. Her salary will be $90,982.
She has held the same position with Westerville schools since 2008. Previously, she was a fifth-grade teacher at Westerville's Hanby Arts Magnet School.
Palmer will replace Brenda Toler, who is retiring.
The board also accepted the resignations of Tamu Lucero, longtime principal at Worthington Hills Elementary School, and Cynthia Montgomery, who is in her first year as principal at Wilson Hill Elementary School.
Lucero has accepted a position as assistant superintendent for elementary education at a Connecticut school.
Montgomery is retiring.
The board also approved the retirements of 10 teachers:
* Nonie Chick, third grade, Liberty Elementary School.
* Sharon Clemans, business education, Thomas Worthington.
* Ann Darby, intervention specialist, Granby Elementary School.
* Marcia Dickerson, family consumer science, Thomas Worthington.
* Janet Hale, language arts, McCord Middle School.
* Ashley Sharpless, fourth grade, Slate Hill Elementary School.
* Donna Smith, first grade, Slate Hill.
* Lori Vaas, music, Brookside Elementary School.
* Daniel Woerner, first grade, Worthington Park Elementary School.
* Michele Zanjani, second grade, Worthington Hills Elementary School.