Federal laws and policies regarding firearms and mental illness are the talk of the nation. But some parents wonder how their children will be kept safe in the meantime.
In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, schools across the country have scrutizined school safety and arming educators is among the measures being considered.
Unsubstantiated reports of a gunman in the area prompted a lockdown at Westerville's Whittier Elementary Dec. 14 as news of shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, Conn., shocked the country.
It's not unusual to see a police officer patrolling a school hallway.
What is a active shooter?
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people, most often in populated areas. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. In some cases, active shooters use improvised explosive devices to create additional victims and to impede first responders.
• Online Active Shooter training presentation from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
• Watch a video on school violence hosted by retired FBI agent Harry Trombitas
• Watch a Active Shooter training video
• Download a Active Shooter pocket card from Homeland Security (.pdf)
• Download a Active Shooter booklet from Homeland Security (.pdf)
May 24, 2013 | Currently: 57° Partly Cloudy
Search our summer fun guide for things to do this summer!
Coupons, discounts and more.
Search our medical diretory for a provider near you.
Awarding $20,000 in scholarships this year! Nominate your student in grades 9-12 today.
ThisWeek's guide to your Social Security benefits.