Federal laws and policies regarding firearms and mental illness are the talk of the nation. But some parents wonder how their children will be kept safe in the meantime.
In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, schools across the country have scrutizined school safety and arming educators is among the measures being considered.
Unsubstantiated reports of a gunman in the area prompted a lockdown at Westerville's Whittier Elementary Dec. 14 as news of shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, Conn., shocked the country.
It's not unusual to see a police officer patrolling a school hallway.
What is a active shooter?
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people, most often in populated areas. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. In some cases, active shooters use improvised explosive devices to create additional victims and to impede first responders.
• Online Active Shooter training presentation from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
• Watch a video on school violence hosted by retired FBI agent Harry Trombitas
• Watch a Active Shooter training video
• Download a Active Shooter pocket card from Homeland Security (.pdf)
• Download a Active Shooter booklet from Homeland Security (.pdf)
Dec 05, 2013 | Currently: 62° Overcast