As I was approaching retirement, I found myself facing the typical fears that everyone seems to have. I wondered what I would do to fill my time.
A friend invited me to attend an exercise class at SCOR. What I found there was truly a blessing -- not just the opportunity to exercise and improve my health but the people I would meet. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I feel so fortunate to have these individuals in my life.
One such example is a class in which I participate. Our group meets weekly, some of us once a week and others two or three times. We have developed friendships that extend beyond the classroom.
Sometimes our class is filled with so much laughter that it is hard to get in any exercise. We have also helped each other through the difficult times as well.
Every so often, we go out to lunch after class. Former members, who for some reason or another can no longer participate, are also invited. Recently, we celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a lunch potluck in my home. We enjoyed each other's company so much that we lost track of time, finally breaking up in time for dinner.
A few days later. I received a message that stated there couldn't be a greater group of ladies and that we were such fun. I couldn't agree more.
I know other groups are just like ours. SCOR is a great group of people -- come give us a try.
Here's what's happening this month.
* Friday, April 14: We will travel to LaComedia to see "Away in the Basement." Call the office to see if space is available.
* Tuesday, April 18: A Brown Bag Tour will depart at 7:30 a.m. Stops include Der Dutch Essenhaus Restaurant, Quailcrest Farm, The Barn Restaurant, Shops at Buchanan Place, Misler Weaving Mill, JM Snicker Company Store and Cafe and Shisler's Cheese House. We will return at approximately 8:15 p.m. The cost is $88 per person Check with the office for availability.
* Thursday, April 20: "Crafting with Cookie" meets at 1 p.m. This is another opportunity to create your own one-of-a-kind silk scarf. The cost is $9. Please call the office to reserve your spot.
* Friday, April 21: Attorney James Hardgrove will present "What is a Will? Is that enough?" at 9 a.m.
* Tuesday, April 25: World of Travel will present "The New Panama Canal!" The presentation for the 2018 cruise will begin at 2 p.m.
* Wednesday, April 26: Mystery Lunch. You never know where you will end up! Call the office for availability.
* Thursday, April 27: Ohio Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) will present "Welcome to Medicare" at 6 p.m. It is open to all those turning 65 soon and need information about Medicare and/or supplemental health insurance.
* Friday, April 28: Food and Flicks will leave SCOR for a movie and lunch on your own. Call the office for details.
* Saturday, April 29: Alan Meisterman, Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) volunteer will be at SCOR to answer your questions regarding Medicare and/or supplemental insurance from 11a.m. to 1 p.m. Call the office to schedule your 30-minute appointment.
If you questions about any of these programs, the SCOR office telephone number is 614-866-5890.
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.