Grandview Heights children play a game of horseshoes on the playground east of Stevenson Elementary School in this photograph taken around 1935.
The school opened in 1926, and the city-owned land on the east side of Oxley Road was designated as a public park and playground.
It later was named Pierce Field in honor of Grandview's eighth mayor.
Behind the children is the newly opened shopping center anchored on the east end by Geiger's Market.
McKinley Drugs (lower right), which also contained a popular soda fountain, later became a tenant of the center.
In the upper-right photo, the school is shown in the background of the photo taken from Geiger's Market in 1935.
The north and south classroom wings were added to the main building in 1930.