Lifelong learning is important. Many of us learned a new vocabulary word recently -- nonagenarian. Do you know what it means?
If you guessed a person who is from 90 to 99 years old, you were correct.
Recently, we celebrated our nonagenarians at SCOR with a luncheon, as we do each spring. SCOR can boast that we have 49 nonagenarian members and almost half (23, in fact) attended the luncheon.
The door prize was awarded to the oldest member in attendance, a lovely woman was 96 and beat a 96-year-old gentleman by 28 days. We also had five married couples where both spouses are over 90. One couple had been married 72 years!
Our special guests were treated to a catered lunch. Their tables were set with beautiful china and were in the front, close to the entertainment. Our own Golden Clefs chorus treated us with a musical journey across America. It was a lovely afternoon.
You may think that we are an old and inactive group, but that assumption would be incorrect. We have a variety of activities on a daily basis. We have daily exercise classes that are well attended. Believe it or not, we had a group go ziplining recently -- we may be on the older side of the spectrum, but we are active and living life to its fullest.
Here's what's happening in June.
* Thursday, June 8: We will leave at 10:45 a.m. to see the Columbus Clippers play the Louisville Bats at Huntington Park.
* Tuesday, June 13: There is a presentation on brain fitness at 11:15 a.m. Veronica Wandrey of Hospice Services at Methodist Eldercare is our speaker. She will share daily practices that improve brain resilience and its capacity to perform well. Call the office to reserve your spot.
* Wednesday, June 14: We will attend CATCO's performance of "I Do! I Do!" The bus leaves at 10 a.m. The cost is $18 with lunch on your own after the show.
* Friday, June 16: Attorney James Hardgrove will present a program on "Status of Estate Tax and Gift Tax" at 9 a.m. All are welcome to attend.
* Monday, June 19: We will leave at 10 a.m. to explore the Park of Roses. You may pack a lunch or order a box lunch for $7. Call the office to check availability.
* Tuesday, June 20: Bob Cummerland with Green Lawn Cemetery will discuss "Pre-need Real Life Experience" at 11 a.m. Sign up in the office to reserve your spot.
* Friday, June 23: Our Food and Flicks group will leave at 11 a.m. to catch a movie at a local theater. Admission and lunch are on your own.
* Friday, June 30: We will leave at 10 a.m. to visit the new IKEA store. Lunch is on your own. Check with the office for availability.
As you can see, we are a busy group. Come check us out!
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.