Whitehall police arrested a 29-year-old Columbus man for improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, a fourth-degree felony, and having a weapon while under disability, a third-degree felony, at 5:50 p.m. May 28, after responding to a minor hit-and-run accident in the parking lot of a store in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road.
Police said multiple witnesses at the scene pointed out a white Saturn whose occupant had pointed a gun at another person.
That person left the scene, witnesses told police, and was never identified, according to reports.
Police pursued the Saturn onto East Main Street and through several private parking lots until the driver stopped in a drive-through lane, where an officer ordered him to show his hands and asked if he had a gun.
"I'm not saying if I have gun," the man replied, according to reports.
The officer reported he had "grave concerns he was concealing a gun and might be thinking about using it," reports said.
The officer removed the man from his car; officers reported finding a semiautomatic handgun on the floor.
The gun had one bullet in the chamber and two bullets in the magazine, police said.
Officers also found an open container of alcohol in the car but the man was not considered to be intoxicated, police said.
He did not have a valid driver's license and had multiple outstanding warrants, including for assault, domestic violence, falsification, disorderly conduct, tampering with evidence, possession of drugs and carrying a concealed weapon, police said.
He was transported to the Franklin County jail.
* Police arrested a 21-year-old man for receiving stolen property and a 20-year-old man for receiving stolen property and carrying a concealed weapon at 1:15 a.m. June 1 at East Main Street and South James Road in Columbus.
Whitehall police first observed a vehicle at Beechwood Road and Virginia Circle in Whitehall and learned it had been reported stolen by police in Huntington, W.Va.
After stopping the vehicle, police reported a male in the back seat was "extremely nervous" and began moving an object in his pocket.
Six officers were at the scene when the occupants were ordered out of the vehicle at gunpoint; the back-seat passenger was found to have a gun, according to reports.
The man told police he found the gun on the ground and did not know the vehicle was stolen, even though police had not advised the suspects it had been reported stolen, reports said.
A female passenger in the vehicle was released without being charged, police said.
* Burglaries were reported at 3:05 p.m. May 31 in the 4200 block of Rickenbacker Avenue; at 3:15 p.m. May 31 in the 900 block of Elaine Avenue; at 11:05 a.m. June 2 in the 100 block of South Yearling Road; at 11:30 a.m. June 2 in the 4000 block of Powell Avenue; at 1:45 a.m. June 4 in the 200 block of Saint Christopher Lane; and at 2:10 p.m. June 4 in the 4200 block of Doney Street.
* Thefts were reported at 4:45 p.m. May 31 in the 4800 block of Langley Avenue; at 2:10 p.m. June 1 in the 4200 block of Rickenbacker Avenue; at 3:05 p.m. June 1 in the 100 block of South Hamilton Road; at 8:40 a.m. June 3 in the 4600 block of East Main Street; at 10:30 a.m. June 5 in the first block of Santa Maria Lane; and at 8:15 p.m. June 5 in the 4000 block of Mayflower Lane.
* Assaults were reported at 6:05 p.m. May 31 in the 400 block of Robinwood Avenue; at 8:30 p.m. June 1 in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road; at 9:15 p.m. June 1 in the 900 block of Duke Road; at 7 p.m. June 2 in the 100 block of Woodcliff Drive; at 7:30 p.m. June 2 in the 4200 block of East Broad Street; and at 6:25 p.m. June 6 in the 4300 block of Beechlawn Road.
* Property destruction was reported at 8:25 a.m. May 31 in the 4500 block of Broadhurst Drive; at 10:25 a.m. May 31 in the 3600 block of East Main Street; at 3:55 p.m. June 1 in the 700 block of Lamby Lane; at 3:55 p.m. June 2 in the 3800 block of East Broad Street; and at 11:15 a.m. June 4 in the 400 block of North Hamilton Road.
* Police responded to reports of shots fired at 5:15 a.m. June 2 in the 1000 block of Irongate Lane; at 5:30 a.m. June 2 in the 5300 block of Great Oak Way; at 12:20 a.m. June 4 at Etna Street and Robinwood Avenue; and at 2:30 a.m. May 6 in the 4800 block of Langley Avenue.