A man whose life came to a violent end last week in Schiller Park had a history of run-ins with the law.

Records from the Franklin County Municipal Court and the County Court of Common Pleas show David L. Bush, whom Columbus police said killed himself July 23 in the German Village park, had been charged for a series of crimes, from assault to discharging a firearm, dating back to 1999. Several of the charges against him were dismissed.

Three charges of domestic violence -- in 1999, 2000 and 2014 -- all eventually were dismissed, as was a menacing charge in 2015.

Bush was accused of telephone harassment in 1999 and that case was also dismissed.

He was found guilty of disorderly conduct in June 2014 and OVI in 2015.

In 1995, he was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm with the threat of physical harm.

Columbus police said Bush, 40, shot himself in the head July 23 while attempting to flee from police after being suspected of a robbery. Reports did not list an address for Bush.

How it began

At 3:31 p.m. July 23, police received a call of an individual being robbed at Chase Bank, 833 S. High St., reports said.

According to witnesses, as police responded to the scene, Bush fled into Schiller Park, 1069 Jaeger St., reports said.

Officers spotted Bush in the middle of the park, but before they could approach him, Bush shot himself with a handgun, the report said.

He was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead from a self-inflicted wound, police said.

No one else was injured in the incident, which occurred in the center of the park near the statue of Friedrich von Schiller, the park's namesake, witnesses said.

Community reactions

The apparent suicide occurred just hours before Actors' Theatre of Columbus was to begin a performance in the park's amphitheater.

Philip J. Hickman, artistic director for Actors' Theatre, said he arrived early after a stage manager told him about all the police in the park.

"We were advised that the investigation could go long enough to cancel the show because in order to secure the area they had essentially cordoned off most of the park in between the western entrance and the recreation center, and that includes our seating area," Hickman said.

Police officials left the area about 6 p.m. The play, "The Emperor of the Moon," was to begin at 8 p.m. The show, however, was canceled because of rain.

"I think that the communication (between police and the theater troupe) was clear so we were able to know what was going on," Hickman said.

Beth Ervin, who lives on City Park Avenue with her husband, Aaron Leventhal, said she was in the park walking her dog just before the incident occurred.

"I think (Bush's death) is very unusual," she said. "It doesn't say anything about the park."

The German Village Society went on high alert when officials learned of Bush's death, said Nancy Kotting, historic preservation advocate for the society.

"The German Village Society learned of the incident via an online neighborhood chat board late Sunday," Kotting said.

"Staff immediately went to GVS offices and contacted the (Columbus Division of Police's) 11th precinct to obtain any additional information.

"We were told the facts at that time and that an investigation was in process," Kotting said.

"We immediately issued a statement regarding what we learned from the sergeant on duty via the same neighborhood chat board.

"Additionally, we sent a broadcast email to residents and members Monday morning, again sharing the information obtained from the 11th precinct.

"We are committed to facilitating any communication accurately and in a timely manner to the district under such circumstances," Kotting said said.

"We will continue to work on behalf of our residents with our police liaison officer ... toward improving safety in the district."