Whitehall police arrested a 26-year-old Columbus man on misdemeanor charges of aggravated menacing and obstructing official business at 6:35 p.m. Sept. 5 after responding to a report of a disturbance in an alley behind a business in the 4400 block of East Main Street.
The incident began at an apartment in the 4400 block of Josephus Lane, police said.
The person who called police said one man had threatened to shoot another. The caller described the suspect to police.
Police found a man matching that description, but when officers attempted to question him, he ran into an East Main Street business, reports said.
The man ran into an employee-only area and locked a door, requiring officers to jump over a counter. The man fled through the back of the business, where another officer apprehended him, reports said.
When asked why he ran, the suspect said he was scared because he had a baggie of marijuana, according to reports.
The man told police he threw away the marijuana while inside the business.
Police searched the man and found he was in possession of a magazine extension for a firearm, reports said.
Officers searched the employee-only area of the business and found a loaded .45-caliber handgun, but no marijuana, according to reports.
The suspect was an employee of the business, reports said.
The man agreed to talk to police and said he was involved in a dispute at the Josephus Lane apartment, where he unintentionally left a firearm that he later retrieved.
He denied threatening to shoot anyone.
He told police he took the gun to the business, then had gone outside to talk to another person when police arrived and attempted to question him.
He told officers he ran because he had marijuana and threw it into a trash can.
Additional felony charges of carrying a concealed weapon and tampering with evidence are possible, reports said, but pending until police can access and review security video of the incident.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
* Police arrested a 20-year-old Columbus man for aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, and obstructing official business at 12:35 p.m. Sept. 1 at Wal-Mart, 3657 E. Main St.
A loss-prevention officer told police that two males concealed merchandise and left without paying.
Security officers detained a 13-year-old boy at the store, but a 20-year-old man -- the boy's cousin -- reportedly displayed a knife and ran away.
The boy led police to his cousin's residence on Barnett Road in Columbus, where police arrested the man.
Police found a knife and stolen merchandise at the residence, reports said.
* Police arrested a 58-year-old Columbus man for possession of cocaine, a fifth-degree felony, and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia at 3:55 a.m. Sept. 2 at a hotel in the 3900 block of East Main Street.
A woman at the hotel called police to report the man struck her on the head after accusing her of taking property from the room. Police found the woman had a warrant for her arrest, for failure to appear in court on a charge of driving without a license, and the man had a warrant for possession of drug paraphernalia from Ohio State University police.
A crack pipe was found on a bed in the hotel room, and drug paraphernalia was found on a nightstand, reports said.
Additional paraphernalia was found in the man's wallet, according to reports.
Both the man and woman were taken into custody on the warrants.
* Burglaries were reported at 3:40 p.m. Sept. 1 in the 100 block of Beechcreek Road; at 12:05 p.m. Sept. 5 in the 4600 block of Saint Margaret Lane; and at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 5 in the 100 block of North Yearling Road.
* Thefts were reported at 2:50 p.m. Aug. 31 in the 200 block of Fairway Boulevard; at 7:15 p.m. Aug. 31 in the 800 block of Duke Road; at 2:25 p.m. Sept. 1 in the 700 block of South Hamilton Road; at 11:50 a.m. Sept. 2 in the 100 block of South Yearling Road; at 3:35 p.m. Sept. 3 in the 500 block of Westphal Avenue; at 3:50 p.m. Sept. 6 in the 4700 block of Olde Bailey Way; and at 9:45 a.m. Sept. 7 in the 300 block of Fairway Boulevard.
* Police arrested a 30-year-old man for assault at 8:35 a.m. Aug. 31 at East Main Street and South Hamilton Road.
Assaults also were reported at 2:35 p.m. Sept. 1 in the 4100 block of Virginia Circle East; at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 5 in the 5300 block of Great Oak Way; and at 11:45 a.m. Sept. 5 in the 4200 block of East Main Street.
* Property destruction was reported at 6:55 a.m. Sept. 4 in the 3900 block of East Broad Street; and at 1:40 p.m. Sept. 5 in the 500 block of Westphal Avenue.
* Police responded to reports of shots fired at 9:20 p.m. Sept. 3 in the 900 block of Dimson Drive East; at 10:30 p.m. Sept. 3 in the 300 block of Maplewood Avenue; and at 1:45 a.m. Sept. 5 in the 4800 block of Langley Avenue.