An accidental fire shut down Massey's Pizza at 7070 E. Main St. last week.

Lt. Tim Perry of the Truro Township Fire Department, said the call about the fire came in at 6:28 p.m. Friday, Sept. 15.

"The first truck arrived at 6:30 p.m., so we were able to respond in minutes," he said. "Because it was a commercial structure and a working fire, we also had other fire departments respond to the call."

Trucks from fire departments in Mifflin, Violet and Jefferson townships were at the scene, as was the Columbus Division of Fire.

"It was an accidental fire in the hood system with extension into the attic," Perry said. "Because it was a Friday night, they were making pizzas and the ovens were hot. Debris in the hood caused a fire in an exhaust system pipe."

Perry said Monday, Sept. 18, his department had no damage estimates yet.

"The owner and the manager are working on evaluating the damage," he said.

He said all employees were able to get out of the building immediately after the fire was discovered and no one was injured.

"I think things went pretty smoothly as far as putting out the fire," he said. "The first truck arrived within minutes and we put a good stop on the fire, also within minutes.

"We really hope Massey's is able to reopen soon," he said. "They are a part of our community, and we want to see them reopen."

Perry said when repairs are made, he will inspect the building.

"I will make sure everything is good to go when they are ready," he said.

An entry on the Massey's Facebook page said the fire was mostly contained in the oven but there was a lot of damage from water and foam.

"We will be working hard to get up and running again soon," the message said.

pwillis@thisweeknews.com

@PamelaThisWeek