New Albany police officers responded to two reports of thefts from vehicles the morning of Oct. 3.
The theft of workout gear, cash and a car key from two vehicles in a driveway of a residence in the 8900 block of Gilg Street was reported at 9:25 a.m.
The theft of a garage-door opener from an unlocked vehicle in a driveway of a residence in the 5300 block of Snider Loop was reported at 7:14 a.m.
Sgt. Kris Daniels said the two cases do not appear to be related, except for time and distance -- they are roughly 2 miles apart.
Daniels said residents always should secure their belongings, including garage-door openers, in their vehicles and be sure to lock their doors to prevent such thefts.
In other recent incident reports from the New Albany Police Department:
* A 33-year-old Newark man was cited for possession of controlled substances, illegal use or possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia and illegal use or possession of drug paraphernalia at 2:27 a.m. Oct. 7 at state Route 161 east and Johnstown Road.
* A woman told police at 12:46 p.m. Oct. 4 someone punched her in the face while she was at work at a business in the 9000 block of Smith's Mill Road.
* Employees of a Columbus construction company at 9:33 a.m. Oct. 4 told police someone stole an off-road utility vehicle from a job site on Beech Road south of state Route 161.
* A Griswold Drive resident at 11:37 a.m. Oct. 3 told police someone used his personal information to attempt to open a cellphone account.
* A 30-year-old Newark man was cited for drug paraphernalia at 12:11 a.m. Oct. 3 in the 9800 block of Johnstown Road after a traffic stop for an expired registration.
* A 48-year-old Newark woman was cited for drug abuse and controlled-substance possession or use at 7:34 p.m. Oct. 2 in the 9800 block of Johnstown Road after marijuana was recovered from the vehicle.
* A 37-year-old Sidney man was cited with OVI at 12:23 a.m. Oct. 2 at state Route 161 and Beech Road.
* A 27-year-old Columbus man who allegedly refused to leave a resident's porch in the 7200 block of Biddick Court was cited for OVI at 1:29 a.m. Oct. 1.
* A 37-year-old Columbus man was cited for OVI, drug abuse and controlled-substance possession or use at 2:04 p.m. Sept. 30 in the 9200 block of Smiths Mill Road North following a traffic stop. Police found marijuana in the vehicle.
* A 22-year-old woman was cited for drug paraphernalia, drug abuse and controlled-substance possession or use at 8:52 p.m. Sept. 29 after a traffic stop at state Route 161 and Beech Road. Officers recovered two burnt marijuana cigarettes, raw marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
* Identity theft was reported at 5:13 p.m. Sept. 29 in the first block of Keswick Commons.