Julius F. Stone was an influential industrialist and entrepreneur who lived in Grandview Heights.
His home at 1065 Westwood Ave., which he and his family lived in until the mid-1940s, was razed to develop the current Stonegate Village homes.
Stone spent his early years on a farm and completed only six years of formal education, but gained broad culture and knowledge through extensive reading.
In 1867, at age 12, he began work as a railroad telegrapher and continued to work on the railroad until 1880.
He was involved in coal mining in Ohio, West Virginia, Illinois and Iowa until 1903.
In 1900, he married Edna Andress, who graduated from Ohio State University. They had five children: Julius, George, Franz, Theodora and Natalia, all shown in this 1910 photo.
Julius Stone Jr. is credited with saving Key West from financial ruin in 1935, and George piloted the first plane to land at Don Scott Field in 1942.
A colonel in the Civil Air Patrol, George died in a plane crash.
Julius Stone Sr. was the owner of Ohio Buggy Works and the Seagrave Co., turn-of-the-century makers of Seagrave fire engines.
He was a trustee at Ohio State University and president of the OSU Research Foundation and donated a large of money to the university, endowing a fellowship in biophysical research, helping finance the observatory on campus and purchasing the first OSU cyclotron. In 1925, he donated Gibraltar Island in Lake Erie near Put-In-Bay to OSU to establish what would become the Franz Theodore Stone Lab, in honor of his father. He died in 1947 at age 92.