Canal Winchester is no longer a village, but at Christmastime, that doesn't seem to matter.
The city is ready to welcome the holidays with its traditional Christmas in the Village celebration, two evenings of holiday-themed events that mark the start of the holiday season.
Christmas in the Village, a partnership between the city and Destination: Canal Winchester, will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 1, and from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 2.
Activities both days will include Santa visits, a model train, ice sculpting, children's activities, a gingerbread house contest and an opportunity to meet the Grinch.
Santa will arrive to kick off each evening with a tree-lighting.
The city's website, canalwinchesterohio.gov, will display Santa's route each evening as well as information about the Brockstrong Light up the Night Holiday Lights Parade, which begins at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 1.
The Canal Winchester High School choir will perform at Stradley Place, 36 S. High St., on Friday evening only.
Activities both evenings include:
* Tree lighting at 6 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Saturday in the grassy area behind Stradley Place, 36 S. High St.
* Visits with Santa
* Christmas trolley (various downtown stops)
* Cookies and cardmaking at Faith United Methodist Church, 15 W. Columbus St.
* Children's games
* Children's train rides across from Fantasy Cupcake
* Hayrides in front of the municipal building
* Gingerbread house contest at 11 S. High St.
* Children's crafts at Town Hall
* Pet pictures with Santa at 19 N. High St.
* Meet the Grinch at 25 N. High St.
* Ice sculptures at Stradley Place
* Popcorn station at Stradley Place
* Christmas music on South High Street
* Craft bazaar at the Frances Steube Community Center, 22 S. Trine St.
* Train display, also at the community center
In addition, the Canal Winchester Area Historical Society's Prentiss School and Railroad Depot will be open to visitors each night.
Two seatings for Breakfast with Santa are scheduled Dec. 9 at the community center, one from 8:30 to 10 a.m. and one from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
Tickets cost $5 for adults and children.
Tickets are available at the municipal building and the community center between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Roman's Pizza also has tickets available evenings and weekends.
All proceeds from the breakfast benefit Canal Winchester Human Services' Adopt-A-Family program.