On New Year's Eve, I read a quote from Brad Paisley: "Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one."
This is so true as we enter 2018. The new year affords us a fresh start. We can reflect and make (or hope to make) changes or improvements in our lives. In order to do so we must reflect on 2017.
Judy Doran, our director, recently shared SCOR's stats for the 2017 year. The numbers are impressive. SCOR has over 1,500 active members. On average, we have 159 people attending and/or participating on a daily basis.
In the category of social events, we have over 49,000 hours of participation. These activities include a variety of card games, chorus, special events, knitting and crocheting, pool and the W.O.W. social club. SCOR had over 1,000 hours of community education. Art classes had 2,700-plus hours of participation while fitness/exercise had 14,935 hours.
We also tracked our volunteer hours at SCOR. These included administrative support, board members and general services. That total was 2,911 hours. The pay equivalent for these hours would be over $9,000! I think these figures demonstrate just how much our center means to all of us.
We have wonderful people and wonderful programs at SCOR. So as you begin 2018, why not make visiting SCOR one of your resolutions?
Here's what's happening this month.
* Saturday, Jan. 13, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. -- Alan Meisterman, a volunteer from OSHIIP (Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program) will be available to answer questions you may have regarding Medicare and supplemental health insurance. You must call the office at 614-866-5890 to schedule an appointment.
* Tuesday, Jan. 16, 1:30 p.m. -- There will be a presentation regarding upcoming multiday trips. The trips include visiting the Northern Isles, the Rocking Horse Ranch and a Canada and New England cruise.
* Friday, Jan. 19 at 9 a.m. -- attorney James Hargrove will present a program on the importance of organizing documents, assets and other information.
* Saturday, Jan. 20, noon to 2 p.m. -- Bring your mobile devices and work with a Reynoldsburg High School student.They usually can help answer your questions. You must sign up in the office.
* Thursday, Jan. 25, 1 p.m. -- Create your own pair of Swarovski crystal heart earrings. The cost is $10. Sign up and pay in the office.
* Thursday, Jan. 25, 4-7 p.m. -- Visit the indoor farmers market at the senior center.
* Tuesday, Jan. 30, 11:30 a.m. -- Dr. Jason Ferrell from Ortho One will give a presentation about back and neck pain. Call the office to reserve your spot.
SCOR will be closed Jan. 15 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.