This is what the North Market on Spruce Street in the Arena District looked like in 1948.
The market has a long and storied history.
The original North End Markethouse was completed in 1876. It was renovated and redecorated in 1914, opening to a great deal of pomp and circumstance, including an erected bandstand, bunting and flags, the Fourth Regiment band and an address from Mayor George J. Karb.
In February 1948, a fire swept through and destroyed the market.
The city deemed the structure too expensive to rebuild, so many of the 73 merchants pooled their money and bought an abandoned Quonset hut nearby.
In October that year, the new market opened. Decades later, on Nov. 11, 1995, the Quonset hut closed and vendors moved next door into the brick building that stands today.
Major development plans for the site, announced in 2017, include a 35-story residential tower and new atrium space connecting it to the historic North Market.