Along with being associated with Valentine's Day, February has become Heart Health Month.
Here at Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg, we have many activities to encourage heart health. We offer a variety of exercise classes. Some kind of class can be found daily, Monday through Saturday, including tone and stretch, ball class, Silver Sneakers cardio and strength, arthritic exercise, line dancing, Tai Chi, Zumba gold and yoga.
If any of these events interest you, please call the office at 614-866-5890 to find out the details.
There are numerous classes and activities throughout the week which allow us to join and socialize. Meeting old and making new friends is another way to keep our hearts healthy and happy.
This year, our knitting and crocheting group, Hooks and Needles, took on a service project. They made close to 50 hats for infants as part of the American Heart Association's Little Hats, Big Hearts project. The hats are given to infants at hospitals to bring awareness to congenital heart defects.
You may have seen the Dec. 7, 2017 story in ThisWeek Reynoldsburg News about our woodcarving group that made comfort birds to be sent to victims of Hurricane Harvey. Recently, they received an acknowledgement of their gifts as a "beautiful tribute to the healing that needs to happen."
Aimee Dubuisson, activities director at the Treemont Retirement Community in Houston continued by saying, "For one person to jump into action and do something that may seem small and produce something that will bring solace and peace to someone else is truly an act of unconditional love."
Congratulations to both of these groups; their hearts extend beyond themselves and our center.
Here's what's going on at SCOR in February:
* Saturday, Feb. 10: From noon to 2 p.m., Teens 'n Tech will help with your questions about your mobile devices. You must sign up with the office in advance.
* Tuesday, Feb. 13: 2 p.m. new-member meeting. New members are encouraged to come in and meet the staff and other new members. You should call the office to let them know you plan to attend.
* Wednesday, Feb. 14: 10 a.m., a group will attend CATCO's performance of "Daddy Long Legs." Check with the office for ticket availability.
* Friday, Feb. 16: 9 a.m., attorney James Hargrove will present a program about advanced directives, a discussion of living wills, health care powers of attorney and a declaration of funeral arrangements.
* Saturday, Feb. 17: From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., volunteer Allan Meisterman from the Ohio Senior Health Insurance Program will be available to answer questions about Medicare and supplemental health insurance. Call the office to schedule an appointment.
* Friday, Feb. 23: 9:30 a.m., a group will leave the center to attend SRO's performance of "Titanic." Call the office for ticket availability.
* Thursdays through March 1: From 4-7 p.m. through March 1, Reynoldsburg's winter market is set up at SCOR.
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.