In today's photo, sportsmen prepare for a round of trap shooting at the Columbus Gun Club, also known as the Arlington Gun Club.
This structure was designed in 1905 by J. Upton Gribben, a noted Columbus architect and Grandview resident, who was a former protege of prolific architect Frank Packard.
It served as the center of social activity for prominent residents of the area, as skeet-shooting had become a national passion during this time.
The club was located on the north side of Fifth Avenue between Arlington Avenue and Cambridge Boulevard until the Northwest Boulevard Co. began the development of the Country Club District in 1915.
The district was the first development in what would become Upper Arlington.
At that time, the club moved to a new building on the north side of King Avenue at Andover Road.
The club was the site of the Grand American Handicap Trap Shoot in 1908, and attracted famous shooters such as Annie Oakley (top right inset) and John Philip Sousa (bottom right).
It is reported in the book "History of Upper Arlington" that an all-wood motordrome, for use in racing motorcycles, also was located on the club's property.
The building (front view in upper-left inset) was used as the field office for the King Thompson Northwest Boulevard Co. after the club moved, and the Armstrong family, some of the earliest UA residents, lived in the second-floor rooms.