Col. George D. Freeman (inset) was one of Grandview's esteemed turn-of-the-century residents and was well known in Columbus as a businessman and decorated military officer.
Born in 1842, he worked in dry goods and furniture before starting the George Freeman Mantel Co. in 1890.
In his military role, he commanded the 14th Regiment of the Ohio National Guard, which was called up by the governor in 1884 to quell a destructive riot in Cincinnati, during which the Hamilton County Courthouse was burned.
This call-up resulted in two guardsmen being killed by rioters and at least a half-dozen rioters killed by the troops.
He later served as quartermaster of the Ohio State Arsenal.
Freeman's home, shown here in a 1904 photo, remains on the northwest corner of Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue; he and his wife, Julia Ann, called it "Spring Oaks."
After his death, his daughter, Julia (Tynan), lived in the house. His son, Harry, lived in a home just north at 1051 Urlin, which was on the historical society's 2004 tour.