A 21-year-old Columbus man was arrested for improper handling of firearms in a motor vehicle after a traffic stop March 4, according to the New Albany Police Department.
An officer stopped the man for a marked-lane violation at 2:18 a.m. at state Route 161 and Kitzmiller Road, and the man told the officer he had a handgun holstered on his hip, according to the police report.
The report did not specify if the man had a license to carry a concealed handgun, and messages left with New Albany police asking about the report were not returned by press time.
Only concealed-carry license holders may transport a loaded handgun in a vehicle, according to Ohio law.
All others must transport firearms unloaded, which means the gun has no ammunition in the chamber and no loaded magazines or speed loaders inserted into it, according to section 2923.16 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Unloaded firearms must be in a closed package, box or case; a compartment that could be reached only by leaving the vehicle; or in plain sight with the action open if it's a long gun, according to section 2923.16.
If loaded gun magazines or ammunition that could be used in the gun are in the vehicle, they must be "stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or ... stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure," according to section 2923.16.
In other recent New Albany police incident reports:
* A 23-year-old Columbus woman was cited for drug abuse and controlled-substance possession or use after a traffic stop at 6:05 p.m. March 3 at East Dublin-Granville and Kitzmiller roads.
* A 31-year-old Newark woman was arrested and released on her own recognizance after being charged with illegal use or possession of drug paraphernalia, possessing drug-abuse instruments and possession of controlled substances after a traffic stop at 9:04 a.m. March 3 at East Dublin-Granville and Kitzmiller roads.
* A Columbus woman was cited for obstructing official business and possession of marijuana after a traffic stop at 1:30 a.m. March 3 at New Albany and Central College roads.
* A check was reported stolen at 9:14 a.m. March 2 on the 7400 block of Hampsted Square South.
* A 36-year-old Heath man was cited for drug paraphernalia and possessing drug-abuse instruments after a traffic stop at 12:56 a.m. March 2 at state Route 161 and Beech Road.
* Criminal damaging involving a vehicle was reported at 9:43 p.m. March 1 on the 6500 block of New Albany Road East.
* Two New Albany High School students were recommended for juvenile diversion after they received citations that included prohibiting a child from using tobacco, illegal use or possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance at 2:04 p.m. Feb. 28 at the high school, 7600 Fodor Road.
* An 18-year-old Columbus woman was cited for drug abuse and controlled-substance possession or use after a traffic stop at 1:08 a.m. Feb. 28 at Johnstown and Smith's Mill roads.
An officer found marijuana during the stop.
* An attempted break-in to a business on Zarley Street was reported at 3:24 p.m. Feb. 27.
Someone had damaged a door in at attempt to pry it open, said Sgt. Kris Daniels.
* An 18-year-old Columbus man was cited for drug paraphernalia after a traffic stop for expired registration at 5:09 p.m. Feb. 26 at West Main and Market streets.