Students are attentive in a painting class at the Columbus Arts and Crafts Center in 1966.
Dora Rosenfeld, standing right, was the center's director, and Mary Jane Alford, standing left, was the class instructor.
The center was housed in the old No. 12 Firehouse at 734 Oak St., just east of Parsons Avenue (near the Broad Street exit off Interstate 71).
The fire station had been converted in 1952 into the only city recreation center dedicated for adults to pursue the arts. Classes began there in two fields – ceramics and weaving.
By 1966, adults could sign up for those, as well as for painting, drawing, graphics, design, enameling, jewelry or batik (fabric decorating).
The center moved to the Old State Arsenal at 139 W. Main St. in 1978 and since then has been known as the Columbus Cultural Arts Center.