Huntington National Bank was established as P.W. Huntington & Co. in 1866 at Broad and High streets in downtown Columbus.
The bank acquired many local banks throughout the early part of the 20th century and was one of the first banks to establish branch offices in distributed locations.
This 1968 photo shows Huntington officials with Grandview Heights Mayor Joseph Wyman (second from left) and Upper Arlington Mayor Richard Broughton (second from right) breaking ground for the Tri-Village branch at 1555 W. Fifth Ave.
The bank purchased the property from Ruth and Jack Strader, owners of multiple Strader's Garden Centers around Columbus.
Although ATMs were first used at Chemical Bank in New York in 1969, Huntington was the first known bank in the nation to incorporate ATMs -- called Handy-Bank centers -- into an integrated, 24-hour, fully automated access system.
One of the earliest such Handy-Bank systems was at this branch in the Grandview area.