A Worthington Kilbourne Middle School student was arrested earlier this month after allegedly making threatening statements about bringing a gun to school.

Harold Delvonnie Hadnot Jr., 13, was charged March 20 with a second-degree felony count of inducing panic, according to Sgt. James Moran of the Worthington Division of Police. Charges of inciting panic become felonies when they involve schools, he said.

The boy was charged through the Franklin County Juvenile Court, he said.

Classmates heard the boy discussing bringing a gun to school and making “a big impact,” according to the call log that accompanied an incident report about the boy.

The boy left school unannounced the afternoon of March 20 and was arrested while walking through Worthington, Moran said.

Worthington officers had learned about the boy’s comments and, after interviewing him and his mother, decided the statements “seemed to be a credible threat,” Moran said. The boy “corroborated most” of what other students had told police, he said.

Police did not recover a gun, but the boy had a “plan” to acquire one, Moran said.

ThisWeek’s attempts to reach the boy’s mother were unsuccessful.

The incident report obtained by ThisWeek did not indicate how police became aware of the threats or whether school administrators were aware, though Kilbourne Middle School principal James Gaskill was listed on the incident report as the person who notified police a threat had been made. The only text in the incident narrative is that police were notified the student had made threats against the school.

Worthington police are not yet releasing the full report or “investigatory information” because, according to Chief Jerry Strait, the case is “still open pending formal adjudication.”

Gaskill did not return calls seeking comment and no one picked up the main phone line at Kilbourne Middle School.

The district currently is on spring break.

When contacted March 26, Worthington Schools spokeswoman Vicki Gnezda said she was not aware of the incident and the district could not comment on any disciplinary actions.

Gnezda said she could not confirm whether any school administrators were aware of the threats.

When contacted again March 27, Gnezda said the “threat apparently did not occur at school and the student is not expected to return to the school.” She said district officials believed he was moving away and not coming back.

ThisWeek learned from calls to the district office that other school administrators were out of the office on vacation, including Superintendent Trent Bowers and Assistant Superintendent Randy Banks, who Bowers has said is “in charge of safety for the school district.”

Check ThisWeekNEWS.com for updates to this story.

aking@thisweeknews.com

@ThisWeekAndrew