Freemasonry is the oldest fraternal organization in the world.
Founded in London in 1717, its current worldwide membership totals 3.6 million members, 1.6 million of whom are in North America.
Ohio has 120,000 Masons and 530 local lodges, making it one of the largest Masonic memberships of any state. Community Lodge No. 684, F&AM, was chartered in Grandview Heights in 1922 with a charter membership of 100 members, and the Masonic Temple was located at the corner of First and Grandview avenues.
According to a 1923 brochure by the H.E. Dusenberry Realty Co., "the handsome new two-story steel, concrete and brick block covers 65 by 130 feet in this growing section.
The lodge has the largest and most beautifully furnished quarters of any blue lodge in this section.
The lodge room is 45 by 60 feet. The architecture is of a Georgian type, designed to create a dignified yet restful and pleasing effect.
The woodwork has been finished in ivory enamel, and the walls and ceiling in two-tone ivory.
This effect, with the mahogany furniture and luxurious blue pattern floor covering, give a pleasing color scheme."
The first Worshipful Master of Community Lodge was Raymond Dowdell, and Walter Whissen was secretary. The lodge now is located on Dublin-Granville Road in northwest Columbus.