In 1915, William Bott of the well-known Columbus firm Bott Brothers -- proprietors of a "gentlemen's establishment" on North High Street (later known as the Clock restaurant), dealers in cigars and liquors and manufacturers of billiard and pool tables -- purchased the 6.5-acre estate of Columbus socialite Cinderella (sometimes spelled Cindrella) Hull Holman, and platted and developed Grand View Terrace.
The residence on the Holman estate was what is now 987 Grandview Ave., the oldest residence in the community and originally the "Franklin County Poor House," built in 1832).
The site is bounded by Grandview Avenue, Goodale Boulevard, Broadview Avenue and Grandview Terrace, entered from Grandview Avenue.
Bott subdivided the estate into 15 lots.
He built three homes -- one for himself and his wife, Frances -- on the three largest lots, which front Broadview Avenue.
A 1916 announcement in The Columbus Dispatch described it: "Grand View Terrace is Columbus' highest-class, most exclusive, and smallest addition (there being only a few lots). Located on a beautiful knoll covered with large forest and fruit trees and one hundred feet higher than Goodale Boulevard. All lots sloping on each side to Broadview and Grandview Avenues and Goodale Boulevard. In the center of which is a large spacious park with a beautiful fountain, electrically lighted and fed by an old fashioned windmill. A large pergola faces the park and on each side of fountain and throughout addition are white rose arbors."
This plat shows the subdivision, with the fountain (lower left inset), the adjacent rose arbors and the pergola (upper left) in the fountain park reserve that was designed for the subdivision.
The location of the Poor House owned by Holman, which she purchased in 1894 after the death of her husband, Charles, is in the center of the drawing.