In 1881, Frederic Seagrave founded Seagrave and Co. just outside of Detroit to build ladders that could be used to reach fruit in orchards.
Local firefighters adapted them as firefighting apparatus.
Seagrave saw an opportunity and the Seagrave Corp. was created 10 years later to build the ladders, horse-drawn carriages and fire-hose transports.
They relocated to Columbus to a building on West Lane Avenue, then upgraded to a larger complex on South High Street, where they built high-end fire equipment until 1963 before relocating to Wisconsin.
The top photo shows the 1936 Seagrave ladder truck purchased by Grandview Heights as Engine No. 2 when it was completed; Grandview Engine No. 1 was a 1924 Seagrave Suburbanite.
In June, Columbus Landmarks hosted an historical event at the South High Street, and Grandview Heights Division of Fire medic Josh Harris was able to photograph the restored truck in the same spot.
Seagrave had other ties to Grandview Heights: Prominent resident and industrialist Julius Stone served as chairman of the board, and Lester Stevenson was sales manager of Seagrave at the time Engine No. 2 was purchased.
Stevenson and his wife purchased the Bott home on Grandview Terrace in 1934, moving from their house on West First Avenue.