Whitehall police arrested a 20-year-old Columbus man for robbery, a third-degree felony; failure to comply with the order of a police officer, a first-degree misdemeanor; and driving with an expired license, a minor misdemeanor, at 3:50 p.m. July 20 at Target, 3955 E. Broad St.
Police responded to a report of a robbery at the store, where an employee told police two men stole merchandise and fought with him before fleeing in a vehicle.
While en route, a police officer observed the car and the license plate the employee provided and began pursuing the vehicle, which had at least two people inside, according to reports.
The officer initiated a traffic stop at South Hamilton and Etna roads, but the driver did not stop until reaching the 700 block of South Hamilton Road, reports said.
The officer held the occupants at gunpoint until backup officers arrived, according to reports.
The suspects were placed in separate cruisers as officers searched the vehicle.
The driver reportedly admitted to taking merchandise from Target but denied an altercation with the employee.
The employee told police the man head-butted him.
The 19-year-old passenger told police he and the other man were considering shoplifting but he did not take any merchandise and was unaware if his accomplice did, according to reports.
The passenger was charged with complicity to robbery.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
* Police arrested a 61-year-old man for burglary, a second-degree felony, at 11:55 p.m. July 19 in the first block of North Hamilton Road.
Officers were dispatched to the residence on a report of a burglary in progress.
Upon arrival, police found the man had been sprayed in the face with Mace.
Two people in the residence reportedly told police the man opened an unlocked door without knocking and entered the house.
A man inside the house asked what the suspect was doing, and the man replied that he was a U.S. Marine and challenged him to fight, according to reports.
The 61-year-old man allegedly punched the homeowner in the face. The homeowner then sprayed Mace on the man, pushed him out the door and detained him in the front yard until police arrived, reports said.
The man's wife and daughter provided the same account of the incident, according to reports.
The man, who told police he thought he was "at his friend's house," appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, police said.
* Burglaries were reported at 7:30 p.m. July 20 and at 2:25 a.m. July 23 in the 1100 block of South Hamilton Road; at 2:30 a.m. July 21 in the 200 block of Collingwood Avenue; at 11:15 a.m. July 23 in the 100 block of South Hamilton Road; at 11:55 a.m. July 23 in the 4500 block of East Broad Street; and at 4:10 a.m. July 25 in the 3800 block of Kenard Court.
* Thefts were reported at 2:40 p.m. July 20 and at 11:50 a.m. July 21 in the 4600 block of East Main Street; and at 7:30 p.m. July 24 in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road.
* Police arrested a 52-year-old man for assault at 9:55 p.m. July 20 in the 4200 block of East Broad Street.
A 42-year-old woman was arrested for assault at 12:25 a.m. July 23 in the same block.
Police also arrested a 34-year-old man for assault at 9:15 p.m. July 19 in the 3600 block of East Broad Street.
Assaults also were reported at 10:20 p.m. July 18 and at 11:10 p.m. July 23 in the same block.
* Property destruction was reported at 4:25 p.m. July 21 in the 4400 block of San Jose Lane; at 10:25 a.m. July 23 in the 4500 block of Saint Francis Lane; at 11:15 a.m. July 23 in the 5300 block of East Main Street; and at 8:10 a.m. July 24 in the 100 block of North Hamilton Road.
* A vehicle was reported stolen at 1:10 a.m. July 20 in the 1000 block of Irongate Lane.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 1 a.m. July 22 at East Main Street and Country Club Road.