This image shows both front and back of a "cabinet card" portrait, circa 1885, of a young girl taken by the Urlin and Pfeifer Photo Palace in Columbus.
The cabinet card was a style of photograph that was widely used for photographic portraiture after 1870.
It consisted of a thin photograph mounted on a card typically measuring roughly 4 by 6 inches.
Its use declined in the early 1890s as personal snapshots assumed more popularity. George C. Urlin's studio, originally called the Mammoth Art Gallery, was founded in 1873 in Columbus and located at 216-218 S. High St.
He partnered with John Pfeifer, and their studio, located just north of Broad Street on High, was known as the Photo Palace as well as the Mammoth Art Gallery.
Urlin moved to Cleveland for two years in 1887 and made a big impact on the Grandview area on his return.
An extraordinary entrepreneur, his other interests included ownership of the Columbus Bicycle Factory and the Columbus Laminated Tube Tire Co.
Like many of their peers, Urlin and his wife, Alice, also were active in the burgeoning local real-estate market.
By the turn of the century, their Suburban Real Estate Co. owned three separate Grandview Heights subdivisions, including a huge amount of land stretching from Fifth Avenue South to Dublin Road.
In addition to donating the land for the library, the Brotherhood of the Rooks home and McKinley Field, the name of the city is attributed to Alice.
Their mansion sat on the hill on Goodale Boulevard and now is the site of the Summit Chase high-rise building.
George Urlin died in 1942 at the age of 87 and is buried in Green Lawn Cemetery.