These prominent members of the arts community in Columbus were residents of Grandview Heights.
On the left in this 1960 photo is Harriet Kirkpatrick, who lived on Westwood Avenue; on the right is John Hussey, who lived on Wyandotte Road.
Kirkpatrick was born in 1877 and grew up with four brothers next door to another famous Columbus artist, George Bellows. She studied extensively with artists from around the world and received multiple awards for her paintings and prints.
She retired as head of the art department at the Columbus School for Girls in 1946. She later organized a group of Tri-Village women known as the Westwood Painters who attended art classes in her home.
Hussey came to Columbus at 17 years old with his family in 1881. He entered Ohio State to study art, but transferred to the newly formed Columbus Art School (now Columbus College of Art and Design), where he graduated in 1885. He then spent more than 25 years there teaching drawing and design and served as the dean. He also served as director, as well as curator, of what became the Columbus Museum of Art.
He became a founding member of the Pen and Pencil Club and the Columbus Art League (now the Ohio Art League). He became a staff member at Ohio State in horticulture in 1920, retiring a second time in 1946.
Kirkpatrick also was a founding member and was continuously active with the art league, receiving its medallion of Distinguished Service in the Arts in 1953. Kirkpatrick died in 1962 and Hussey in 1969 at 105 years old.