Whitehall police reported a robbery at 5:05 p.m. Oct. 29 in the parking lot of Walmart, 3657 E. Main St.
A woman told police she and her school-age son were putting groceries in her vehicle when a man tried to steal her purse.
The boy grabbed the purse and yelled that it belonged to his mother, according to reports.
The boy continued to hold on to the woman's purse as the man ran toward his car, dragging the boy with him, police said.
The suspect reportedly shoved the boy toward gathering bystanders and drove away without the purse.
The man made no threats and no one reported seeing a weapon, police said.
A bystander took photos of the suspect's vehicle and its license plate number. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
* A 21-year-old man was arrested for menacing, a misdemeanor, and carrying a concealed weapon, a felony, at 12:35 a.m. Oct. 29 in the 4700 block of East Broad Street.
Police responded to a report of a man threatening an employee at Shell, 4780 E. Broad St.
Police detained a man matching a description of the suspect a short distance away walking west on East Broad Street, reports said.
The man had a semiautomatic pistol, according to reports.
The suspect told police he went to the store to buy cigars and placed the money in a pass-through window used when the exterior doors are locked.
The employee told the suspect he was "short 8 cents," to which the suspect replied, "You act like it's your store," according to reports.
The employee allegedly said, "Go ahead and get away from here, boy," angering the suspect, who told police he argued with the employee. He told police he had the gun in his pocket during the argument but did not threaten the employee.
The gun, which had six rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber, was test-fired and determined to be functional, police said.
The man also had a clown mask in his possession, police said.
* Police arrested a 41-year-old man for disorderly conduct and public intoxication after responding to a report of a burglary at 3:40 a.m. Oct. 30 in the 900 block of Heritage Drive West.
* Burglaries also were reported at 10:15 a.m. Oct. 25 in the 800 block of Harbinger Circle West; at 5:45 p.m. Oct. 25 in the 1000 block of Runyon Road; at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 26 in the 600 block of South Hamilton Road; at 11 a.m. Oct. 26 in the 800 block of Fairway Boulevard; at 11:20 a.m. Oct. 26 in the 4200 block of East Broad Street; at 9 a.m. Oct. 29 in the 4300 block of East Main Street; at 10:25 a.m. Oct. 29 in the 4600 block of Olde Bailey Way; at 6:55 p.m. Oct. 29 in the 5200 block of Gatehouse Drive; and at 8:40 a.m. Oct. 30 in the 200 block of North Yearling Road.
* Thefts were reported at 2:50 p.m. Oct. 24 in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road; at 1:35 p.m. Oct. 27 in the 4000 block of Doney Street; at 12:15 p.m. Oct. 29 in the 4500 block of San Jose Lane; at 12:55 p.m. Oct. 29 in the 4600 block of Kae Avenue; at 11:45 a.m. Oct. 30 in the 100 block of Shumaker Lane; at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 30 in the 4700 block of East Broad Street; at 7:50 p.m. Oct. 30 in the 400 block of South Yearling Road; and at 10:50 p.m. Oct. 30 in the 1000 block of Antwerp Road.
* Vehicles were reported stolen at 8:25 p.m. Oct. 27 in the 300 block of Barkley Place West; at 4:45 p.m. Oct. 28 in the 4100 block of East Main Street; at 10:45 p.m. Oct. 28 in the first block of Parklawn Boulevard; and at 8 a.m. Oct. 30 in the 4400 block of Josephus Lane.
* Police responded to a report of shots fired at 4:45 p.m. Oct. 27 at Maplewood Avenue and Etna Road.