Several years ago, Oprah Winfrey talked about a gratitude journal that she kept. After listening to her discussion, I decided to give it a try.
I made the decision to write down three things for which I was grateful at the end of each day. I will admit that some of my entries were emotional, concerning friends or family, while others were, "I'm glad this day is over." I have seen where some individuals are currently participating in "Thirty Days of Gratitude." Seeing this, I thought I would share some of the things about our center for which I am grateful.
I am grateful that Reynoldsburg provides a facility where our senior citizens can gather.
I am grateful for our staff members, who are loving and caring.
They always seek to make sure our needs are met.
I am grateful for the opportunity to spend time with new friends as well as rekindle old friendships.
I am grateful that SCOR provides a wide variety of programs to meet the interests and needs of our population.
Finally, we are all grateful for our health and the many programs that we have to help us maintain or improve our healthy lifestyles.
We are all so thankful for SCOR – just ask any of us!
Here's what's happening at SCOR:
* Monday, Nov. 19: We will hold our annual Thanksgiving lunch at noon. Reservations are necessary.
* Thursday and Friday, Nov. 22-23: SCOR will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.
* Tuesday, Nov. 27: A group of our members leaves for New Orleans.
* Thursday, Nov. 29: Members will travel to LaComedia to see "White Christmas." The bus will leave at 8:30 a.m. Check with the office for availability.
* Friday, Nov. 30: A group will leave at 10:30 a.m. to attend Winterfair. Check with the office for availability.
* Monday, Dec. 3: There will be a presentation at 2 p.m. about a 2019 trip to Chicago.
* Tuesday, Dec. 4: Brain Fitness at 11:30 a.m. Donna Serafini teaches some fun, simple movements that can help re-educate the mind and body to enhance the quality of an independent life.
* Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 4-5: Mikhail Zhuravlev will lead a bookbinding project. If interested, contact the office by Nov. 30 to pay and get a materials list. The cost is $10.
* Thursday, Dec. 6: The Burg Bookies meet at 2 p.m. The book club's December selection is "Ordinary Grace" by William Kent Krueger.
* Friday, Dec. 7: A group will visit the Inn at Summit Trail to see their holiday decorations and enjoy coffee and cookies.
* Saturday, Dec. 8: WOW Widows or Widowers support group meets at 1 p.m.
* Monday, Dec. 10: The Reynoldsburg Community Band will present a Christmas concert at 7 p.m.
* Tuesday, Dec. 11: Join a beading class to make a Swarovski snowflake pendant at 1 p.m. The fee is $13. Call the office to reserve your spot.
* Wednesday, Dec. 12: A group will attend Catco's production of "The Christmas Schooner." They will leave the center at 10 a.m. The cost is $18. Call the office to check availability.
* Saturday, Dec. 15: The Santa Breakfast will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sign up at City Hall. Call 614-322-6806 for more information. The center will be closed for senior activities until 1p.m. that day.
Take some time to be grateful. Happy Thanksgiving!
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.