Dublin police charged a 36-year-old Columbus man with receiving stolen property and filed a warrant for his arrest when police found he was in possession of mail not addressed to him.
Police at 5:33 p.m. Nov. 20 stopped the man in his vehicle in the Perry Township Police Department parking lot at 7125 Sawmill Road because he was wanted on a warrant through Guernsey County.
The man fled, however, and after a short chase on foot, police took him into custody.
While conducting an inventory of the vehicle's contents before impounding it, police found a backpack containing a large amount of mail addressed to several members of a family living in the 7300 block of Claddaugh Lane.
Those family members told police the man was among a crew hired recently to work on remodeling their basement.
A Dublin police officer visited the residence, and one of the family members found the bags that had stored the mail in the basement appeared to have been searched through.
Dublin police completed a Franklin County criminal complaint listing the man as the suspect for receiving stolen property and filed the complaint as an arrest warrant.
In other recent Dublin police incident reports:
* Identity fraud was reported Nov. 20 in the 7800 block of Wiltshire Drive and Nov. 19 in the 6200 block of Deeside Drive.
* A 33-year-old man was charged with theft Nov. 19 in the 300 block of South Front Street in Columbus.
* An 18-year-old woman was charged with domestic violence-simple assault Nov. 18 in the 400 block of Metro Place.
* A 48-year-old woman was charged with assault Nov. 18 in the 7700 block of Crossbill Court.
* Documents and credit or debit cards valued at $5 were reported stolen at 1:30 p.m. Nov. 18 from a vehicle in the 6100 block of Craughwell Lane.
* Forgery was reported Nov. 17 in the 7200 block of Hospital Drive.
* A 38-year-old man was charged with having physical control of a vehicle while under the influence Nov. 17 in the 6500 block of Longshore Street.
* A purse and contents including $20 in cash, credit and debit cards and documents, with a total value of $70, was reported stolen at 12:06 p.m. Nov. 17 in the 7700 block of Sawmill Road.
* A 49-year-old man was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs Nov. 17 in the 4500 block of John Shields Parkway.
* Household items valued at $185 were reported stolen at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 16 from a vehicle in the 6100 block of Craughwell Lane.