Pan-seared duck breast with cracked pepper and molasses glaze, courtesy of Matt Linebrink, Latitude 41.
1 duck breast 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper 2 Tbsp molasses 2 each sweet potato 1/2 inch diced 1/2 yellow onion 1/2 inch diced 2 slices cooked bacon 1/2 inch diced Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Method of Preparation
1. For the duck, make 4 slices ( like a tic-tac-toe board) across the fatty skin
2. Combine the molasses and pepper with the duck and marinate at least 2 hrs in the refrigerator
3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and place the duck skin down
4. Brown the skin, turn over and brown other side until the flesh is semi-firm
5. Drain the fat from the pan and reserve. Allow the duck to rest for 10 minutes before slicing
1 For the hash, heat a saute pan over medium, add in the bacon and onions.
2 Allow the onions to sweat until translucent then add in the sweet potatoes
3 Saute stirring constantly as the potatoes cook until soft.
4 Season with salt and pepper and add in the cinnamon
To serve, place the sweet potato hash on the plate as a base, and place the duck breast over the top.
After straining the fat, baste the dish with the remaining pan jus.