Groveport is gaining a reputation as one of those football teams flying under the radar. In 2007, the Cruisers made the playoffs before going 4-6 in 2008 and 6-4 last season in which they missed the playoffs by .3 of a point. We heard in the preseason that the Cruisers could be back. We took notice of their opening victory over Westerville South.
Well, we must have jinxed Groveport, who after joining the Super 7 football poll at No. 7, blew a 24-0 lead and lost to Grove City 40-34. Will the same fate happen to Hilliard Darby, which moved to 5-0 after drilling Central Crossing 75-7. Now, granted the Panthers haven't face the toughest schedule. Their opponents are a combined 8-17 and games have yet to be played against the uppercrust of the OCC-Central Division, Upper Arlington (Friday), Dublin Coffman (Oct. 8) and Hilliard Davidson (Oct. 29).
Below is the poll as selected by the ThisWeek sports staff. A unanimous selection is 77 points:
1 . HILLIARD DAVIDSON (5-0),(5-0), 74 points, eight first-place votes. Last week: Defeated Thomas Worthington 52-0. Next: Friday at Central Crossing. Last ranking: No. 1
2. PICKERINGTON CENTRAL (4-0), 69 points, three first-place votes. Last week: Def. Pickerington North 42-0. Next: Friday vs. Gahanna. Last ranking: No. 2
3. NEW ALBANY (5-0), 53 points. Last week: Def. Watkins Memorial 35-8. Next: Friday vs. Olentangy Orange. Last ranking: No. 3
4. MARION-FRANKLIN (5-0), 44 points. Last week: Def. Walnut Ridge 35-6. Next: Friday vs. Africentric. Last ranking: No. 4
6. WESTERVILLE SOUTH (3-1) , 23 points. Last week: Def. Grove City 34-13. Next: Friday vs. Westerville Central. Last ranking: No. 7
6. HILLIARD DARBY (5-0), 9 points. Last week: Def. Central Crossing 75-7. Next: Friday vs. Upper Arlington. Last ranking: Not ranked.
7. DESALES (3-2), 8 points. Last week: Lost to Orchard Lakes (Mich.) St. Mary's Prep 24-0. Next: Friday vs. St. Charles. Last ranking: No. 6
Also receiving votes:Big Walnut, St. Charles, Watterson, Dublin Coffman and Groveport.
Dropped out: No. 7 Groveport