After the opening week of high school football wrapped up, all we could say was, "Wow." What a weekend it was.
What was more surprising, the fact that Watterson and DeSales were blasted or that Pickerington North and Gahanna did the blasting? Upper Arlington faltered down the stretch at Dresden Tri-Valley and Pickerington Central, while not playing badly, nonetheless suffered its second regular-season loss since 2007.
All this means some significant changes to the Super 7. No team is in the same spot as a week ago and four dropped out. Let's hope this just be the first chapter in a very interesting season.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers. A unanimous selection is 77 points:
1. HILLIARD DAVIDSON (1-0), 77 points, 11 first-place votes. Last week: Defeated Grove City 28-7. Next: Sept. 9 vs. Walnut Ridge. Last ranking: No. 2
2. DUBLIN COFFMAN (1-0), 57 points. Last week: Def. Olentangy Liberty 31-27. Next: Sept. 2 vs. Westerville South. Last ranking: No. 3
3. WESTERVILLE SOUTH (1-0), 56 points. Last week: Def. Groveport 47-18. Next: Sept. 2 at Coffman. Last ranking: Not ranked
4. PICKERINGTON CENTRAL (0-1), 45 points. Last week: Lost to Cincinnati Moeller 14-0. Next: Sept. 4 vs. Cincinnati St. Xavier at Ohio State. Last ranking: No. 1
5. PICKERINGTON NORTH (1-0), 23 points. Last week: Def. Watterson 38-3. Next: Sept. 2 at Logan. Last ranking: Not ranked
6. GAHANNA (1-0), 17 points. Last week: Def. DeSales 31-14. Next: Sept. 2 vs. Strongsville. Last ranking: Not ranked
7. NEW ALBANY (1-0), 11 points. Last week: Def. Licking Valley 45-20. Next: Sept. 2 at Westerville Central. Last ranking. Not ranked
Also receiving votes: Hartley, Marion-Franklin, Lancaster, Canal Winchester, Hilliard Bradley.
Dropped out: No. 4 Watterson, No. 5 Upper Arlington, No. 6 DeSales, No. 7 Marion-Franklin.
Previous Super 7 polls: Week 1