The city of Bexley is considering joining the city of Columbus in the CoGo bike-share program.

The city of Bexley is considering joining the city of Columbus in the CoGo bike-share program.

The program allows individuals to buy $8 day passes, $18 three-day passes or $75 annual subscriptions to use bicycles that are docked at stations throughout the city.

Columbus signed on to the CoGo program in July 2013 with 30 stations and recently expanded its participation to 46 stations and a total of 365 bikes for rent.

Bexley is considering becoming part of the network by adding four stations with 15 bicycles per station, said Service Director Bill Dorman.

"Columbus has kind of reached the end of its limits and is looking to bring in other communities so people can ride from station to station," Dorman said at Bexley City Council's June 14 meeting. "The idea is you have a nice 30-minute ride, dock the bike and then you can take it out again and ride to the next station, if you like."

The cost of installing the CoGo stations is estimated at $45,000 per station, Dorman said. The city has submitted a preliminary application for a federal grant that would cover 80 percent of the total cost of installation, he said. The remaining 20 percent could be covered by applying for a grant from the Bexley Community Foundation or seeking business sponsors, he added.

"There's a lot of areas of Columbus that work with local developers and retailers, and they sponsor the (CoGo) station for three years," he said.

The CoGo stations are designed as an amenity for the community, rather than a source of revenue, with ongoing maintenance costs offset by the fees users pay, said Bexley Mayor Ben Kessler.

"The way we view it is, it's a public infrastructure, a public transportation effort," Kessler said. "It's not going to be a money maker, but we're trying to make sure it's not a money loser."

The city is waiting for notification from the federal government that the city's preliminary application has been accepted, Dorman said. If if it is accepted, city council members must approve an ordinance that would authorize the city to move forward with a formal grant application.