The Delaware Hayes High School boys soccer team fell short in its bid to reach a Division I district semifinal for the first time since before 2000.

The Delaware Hayes High School boys soccer team fell short in its bid to reach a Division I district semifinal for the first time since before 2000.

The Pacers' season ended Oct. 24 when they lost to host New Albany 2-0 in the second round of the tournament.

"It's always tough to beat a team you beat in a close game earlier in the season," said coach Brett Barber, whose team beat New Albany in OCC-Capital Division play 1-0 on Oct. 6. "They came out and had something to prove and, unfortunately, we came out with that false feeling of thinking we were going to win because we had beaten them before."

The Pacers finished 6-10-2. They advanced by upsetting 13th-seeded Brookhaven 3-2 on Oct. 21. Both goals they allowed in that game were off set pieces.

"We came out flat (against New Albany) and I don't know if that was because of the emotional win over Brookhaven," Barber said. "I don't know if it was a carryover or what, all I know is that we came out flat in the first half."

New Albany led 2-0 at halftime. Derek Moon headed home a feed from Jack Buck with 20 minutes, 26 seconds left in the half. Buck then scored off a free kick with 9:44 left before the half.

"We switched to a 4-4-2 defense about four games ago and we've played very strong defense since then," Barber said. "Their first goal was a good one by them, but I think we had a chance to clear the ball before then but failed. I just wish we had played the first half with the same energy as the second half because the outcome probably would have been different."

In the second half, the Pacers played better. Senior midfielder Alex Stanton hit the left post at the 36-minute mark, senior Alex Hall's shot at 34:30 was deflected over the goal by New Albany keeper Tyler Washington, and a header by senior forward Cooper Eastham off a corner kick also sailed over the net 30 seconds later.

With less than six minutes left, Washington got a hand on a Delaware shot and the ball trickled along the line before being cleared by David Soldaini.

"We went all offense in the second half because we had nothing to lose," Barber said. "We created a lot of opportunities, but it was one of those nights where we had trouble finishing. We struggled with finishing at times during the season and I think we ran into that problem again.

"On the other hand, I was real proud of our effort in the second half. In the first half, we fell behind, started to press, tried to shoot from everywhere and just got out of our game and our rhythm. But we dug deep in the second half and had the better of play and created chances. When you hit a post and beat a goalie only to have someone else clear it off the line, you just figure it wasn't your night. Still, if we had just played the first half like that ..."

New Albany advanced to a district semifinal, where it lost to eighth-seeded Dublin Coffman 2-0 last Wednesday.

•The football team closed the regular season last Friday against Olentangy Orange.

The Pacers need a victory and some help to qualify for the Division I, Region 3 playoffs. With a win, they could've finished anywhere from fifth through 10th in the computer ratings, depending on other results. The top eight teams advanced to postseason play and receive confirmation telephone calls from the OHSAA today.

Orange was eighth in Division II, Region 7 and controlled its own destiny. If the Pioneers won, they would definitely make the playoffs.

The winner also would own at least a share of the OCC-Capital Division championship. The loser likely would finish third in the league.

•The cross country season ended in the Division I district meet Oct. 24 at Watkins Mem-orial.

The boys, competing in a 13-team section 1 race, finished 12th with 328 points. Steve Swisher led the way for the Pacers, placing 43rd in 18 minutes, 23.76 seconds.

The top five teams and those individuals not on a qualifying team who finished in the top 20 advanced to the regional meet last Saturday at Pickerington North.

The teams advancing were champion North (38), Hilliard Darby (69), Dublin Jerome (89), Westerville Central (92) and Watkins Memorial (162).

Also competing for Delaware were Zach Flint (63rd, 19:01.82), Tommy Peterson (69th, 19:12.40), Lewis Mergler (74th, 19:28.61), Seth McCurdy (79th, 19:41.74), Bobby Oliver (82nd, 19:50.34) and Daniel Nethers (84th, 20:23.63).

The girls team, competing in the 13-team section 2 race, finished ninth with 246 points. Harlee Mollenkopf led Delaware by finishing 28th in 21:57.16.

The top four teams and those individuals not on a qualifying team who finished in the top 16 advanced to the regional.

The top four teams were champion Dublin Scioto (23), Dublin Coffman (63), North (84) and Hilliard Darby (127).

Other competitors for the Pacers were Sierra Mollenkopf (41st, 22:27.13), Kathleen Jackson (50th, 22:53.09), Christiana Binkley (57th, 23:31.26), Kelly Robinson (70th, 25:37.32), Andrea Salyer (78th, 27:17.76) and Caitlin Green (82nd, 29:45.30).