A Delaware County couple's gift has made it possible for Brown Township to build a new township hall.

A Delaware County couple's gift has made it possible for Brown Township to build a new township hall.

Charles and Betty Sheets donated farmland to the Delaware County Foundation. The sale of the farmland made available $1.1 million to build a new township hall on the site of the former Brown School in Kilbourne. The property on state Route 521 already is owned by the township board of trustees.

The new building, expected to be finished before November 2016, will have about 4,000 square feet, including public space estimated at 2,000 square feet for meetings and community use. A food-serving area and an office for the fiscal officer will be included. The building will include historical memorabilia honoring the Sheets family's farm heritage.

The location of the new building is significant. Charles Sheets was born and grew up in Brown Township. He started first grade at Brown Township School in 1932 and graduated from the school in 1944 after playing on the school basketball team for four years. Sheets' grandfather, Charles Homer Sheets, was a Brown Township school board member in 1915.

The Sheets' donation, the second-largest gift in the foundation's 20-year history, also will create two additional charitable funds. One is a scholarship fund in the name of Charles and Betty Sheets. The first scholarship will be awarded in 2016 to a Delaware County student majoring in agriculture, engineering, nursing, medicine or food science. The second fund will support other charitable purposes.

TheDelaware County Foundation manages more than 90 charitable funds totaling more than $11 million. The foundation is a pool of charitable dollars that grows over time to benefit the needs of Delaware County and its residents.