Dublin City Council members last week began looking over a plan that would fund more than $130 million in capital improvements in the city over the next five years, if approved.

Dublin City Council members last week began looking over a plan that would fund more than $130 million in capital improvements in the city over the next five years, if approved.

Then capital improvement plan, or CIP, is updated every year. Council members met Aug. 13 for a workshop on potential projects for the city from 2013 to 2017.

The CIP is funded by 25 percent of the city's income tax revenue each year; 60 percent of that revenue is tagged for long-term debt. The remaining 40 percent "funds projects and capital expenses on a cash basis," the CIP states.

The CIP also is funded by grants, tax-increment financing districts and other revenue.

In developing the CIP, city department managers are queried on their needs. In addition, council goals, commitments, economic development chances, the community plan, grant opportunities, the community survey and Bridge Street corridor are taken into consideration.

In the proposed CIP, $45.8 million is planned for projects in 2013, $29.2 million in 2014, $16.1 million in 2015, $22 million in 2016 and $18.1 million in 2017.

Major projects in the proposed CIP include the eighth and final phase of Emerald Parkway that will connect the road between Riverside Drive and Hard Road. Land acquisition has been ongoing for the extension and construction will "be initiated upon completion of successful right-of-way negotiations," the CIP said.

Funding for improvements to the Interstate 270 and U.S. Route 33 interchange is proposed in the plan and includes $800,000 in 2013 for design, $5 million in 2014 for right-of-way acquisition and $6.6 million for construction in 2016.

Reconfiguration for Tuller Road also is in the proposed plan, with design and construction scheduled in 2014. The road would be moved so it connects with Riverside Drive in a different area "to achieve optimum intersection performance at Riverside Drive and Emerald Parkway as well as improve safety," the plan said.

Other projects with funding in the proposed CIP include:

* Utility line burial on Frantz Road in 2013 for $1.75 million.

* Design and right-of-way acquisition for the Tuttle Crossing Boulevard extension from Wilcox to Avery Road.

* Intersection improvements at Sawmill and Hard roads in 2014 that include additional right-turn lanes and traffic signal modifications.

* Improvements to the U.S. Route 33/state Route 161/Post Road interchange, including the widening of Post Road from the southbound off ramp, turn lanes on Post Road to Eiterman Road, an additional lane north on Eiterman Road and signal improvements.

* Design and construction of a roundabout at the Coffman and Brand Road intersection.

* Construction of a Muirfield Drive multiuse path from Brand to Glick Road in 2014 for $1.46 million.

* Renovations to Dublin Community Pool North, including new shade structures, fencing and landscaping.

* Another phase for Amberleigh Park that includes stairs to the Scioto River, a pedestrian bridge, sidewalks, bike racks and landscaping.

* The demolition and reconstruction of the skate park at Coffman Park in 2015, along with other improvements around the park.

* A shade plaza, basketball court and pedestrian lighting at Emerald Fields in 2016.

* Intersection and crime-prevention cameras in 2013 for $190,000 that would be placed at "high traffic, high incident locations," the plan said, and at parks and other city facilities.

The cameras could record and be monitored by the police.

Dublin City Council members can make changes to the CIP.

A public hearing and vote on the CIP are expected at the Sept. 10 council meeting.

A complete copy of the proposed CIP can be found online at Dublin.oh.us/council/2012/agenda/8-13-12/pdf/2013-CIP-Proposed-Budget.pdf.