The Kingswood Building on Grandview Avenue is expected to be demolished next week.

The Kingswood Building on Grandview Avenue is expected to be demolished next week.

The building was left unsalvageable by a Jan. 17 fire that caused $3-million damage.

The Kingswood Building is located on the east side of Grandview Avenue between Third and Fifth avenues. It is owned by the Wagenbrenner Company.

A new two-story building will be constructed on the site, said Angela Zeigler, chief operating officer for Wagenbrenner's property management division.

"We plan to continue to have retail space on the first floor, but we may have some residential space on the second floor instead of office space," she said.

Wagenbrenner anticipates the new building to be completed in about 18 months, Zeigler said.

A total of 23 businesses were displaced by the fire, she said.

New locations have been found for most of the businesses, Zeigler said. Many have been able to remain located in the area in and around Grandview, she said. A few people are operating their businesses out of their homes.

Candle Lab is now occupying the storefront adjacent to the former Drexel Grandview theater, she said. Grandview Physical Therapy is now located at 1500 W. Third Ave.

A few businesses, including Zeigler's own Accent on Nature, are waiting until their insurance settlements are processed before moving into a new location.

Being able to find new locations "has given a lot of hope to people," Zeigler said. "We're all trying to look ahead now."

Investigation into the fire continues, but the exact cause has not been determined yet, Columbus Battalion Chief Doug Smith said.

"The fire appears to have been accidental," Smith said. "There is nothing to indicate arson."

The blaze is believed to have started in a second story attic area shared by a number of the businesses located in the building, he said.

The investigation into the fire was delayed due to the frigid weather conditions of Jan. 17 and the days afterward, Smith said.

"We probably used 10,000 gallons of water to fight the fire. After the fire was out, there was water everywhere," he said. "All of that water froze and we couldn't really get in there to investigate until all of that ice melted."

The exact cause may never be known for certain, Smith said.