The joint economic development zone agreement between the city of Grandview Heights and Clinton Township is set to begin Tuesday, April 1.

The joint economic development zone agreement between the city of Grandview Heights and Clinton Township is set to begin Tuesday, April 1.

Grandview City Council passed a resolution March 17 authorizing the city to enter into the agreement for the collection of income taxes from business located in the township as required by the JEDZ and the cooperative economic development agreement approved previously by council and township trustees.

Township voters passed a ballot measure in November to approve the agreement.

The city will administer and collect its 2.5-percent income tax from businesses. After administrative and collection expenses are paid, the township will receive 80 percent of the net proceeds and the city will get the remaining 20 percent.

Council also approved legislation to create a joint economic development fund for the deposit of the tax payments the city collects.

In other business, council approved an ordinance to appropriate $26,000 for and authorize the mayor and finance director to enter into a contract with Compass Point Planning to serve as consultant for the city's update of the zoning code.

Compass Point owner Wendy Moeller will complete a number of tasks as consultant, such as leading a kickoff meeting with a committee and other city representatives, begin drafting an updated zoning code, and holding meetings with the committee. A public meeting will be held after the committee has reviewed the draft revisions.

Optional tasks that would be completed after the public meeting include preparing a public hearing draft of the code the city could use for the adoption process and holding a preliminary meeting on the commercial regulations in the code.

The initial focus of the review will be on the residential section of the code.

Moeller has estimated a four- to six-month time frame to complete the tasks included in the scope of services, Director of Administration/Economic Development Patrik Bowman told council.

Council also approved a resolution authorizing the mayor and finance director to pursue an implementation plan related to reducing stormwater in the city's wastewater system.

The cost of the plan is expected to be about $2.1 million over 10 years.

The city was among the communities included in findings and orders issued by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency in 2009. The participating communities agreed to study their wastewater systems to determine how stormwater can be reduced or eliminated.

The legislation authorizes the administration to consider timing and funding options to complete the wastewater improvement projects over the next decade.

Earlier this year, Mayor Ray DeGraw told council that user fees or transfers from the city's capital improvement fund could be possible options to fund the projects.