The Upper Arlington Co., owned by brothers King and Ben Thompson, set out to develop a planned community just north of what was then Arlington (now Marble Cliff) on the Miller farmland in 1915. The formal entrance to the new community was at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Cambridge Boulevard. The top photo in this composite shows the entry, with the stone fence and columns, the newly constructed road and curbs, and light posts and sidewalks. The bottom photo, taken three years later in 1918, shows the same entry with newly constructed homes on both sides of Cambridge. Development was interrupted in 1916 when National Guard troops, preparing to participate in the protection of the U.S./Mexico border, used the site as a training camp, known as Camp Willis. UA was incorporated in March 1918.

The Upper Arlington Co., owned by brothers King and Ben Thompson, set out to develop a planned community just north of what was then Arlington (now Marble Cliff) on the Miller farmland in 1915. The formal entrance to the new community was at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Cambridge Boulevard. The top photo in this composite shows the entry, with the stone fence and columns, the newly constructed road and curbs, and light posts and sidewalks. The bottom photo, taken three years later in 1918, shows the same entry with newly constructed homes on both sides of Cambridge. Development was interrupted in 1916 when National Guard troops, preparing to participate in the protection of the U.S./Mexico border, used the site as a training camp, known as Camp Willis. UA was incorporated in March 1918.