Some of the overcrowdedness of Grandview Heights schools was reduced when the village of Upper Arlington was allowed by the Franklin County Board of Education to establish a separate school district, which it did in August 1918.

Some of the overcrowdedness of Grandview Heights schools was reduced when the village of Upper Arlington was allowed by the Franklin County Board of Education to establish a separate school district, which it did in August 1918.

A temporary four-room building was constructed with funds provided by King and Ben Thompson at the southeast corner of Arlington Avenue and Tremont Road, using the remains of some of the barracks that were part of Camp Willis.

Designed by architect Edgar Outcalt, who also designed the Grandview Municipal Pool building and the Linden Theater on Cleveland Avenue, the school was informally called the Barracks School, given its history. It contained grades 1-3 in one room, 4-6 in another, and 7-9 in a third. The fourth room was a larger common space used for school activities.

Upper Arlington opened this school in October, taking 56 children out of the crowded Grandview schools, and immediately planned a more permanent building, which opened as the Waltham Road School in September 1919, built near the current location of Jones Middle School.