The Livingston Seed Co. was established in central Ohio as one of the first and most prolific tomato-seed hybrid providers in the country.

The Livingston Seed Co. was established in central Ohio as one of the first and most prolific tomato-seed hybrid providers in the country.

Founded as A.W. Livingston's Sons by Alexander Livingston in 1850, they branched out to Iowa, with his son, Josiah, taking the helm of the Iowa operation. In 1898, it was renamed Livingston Seed Co. and Josiah moved back to Ohio. He and his wife, Merinda, bought a home in Grandview on the northeast corner of First Avenue at Wyandotte Road. Their son, Robert, Grandview High School class of 1920 and an early member of the Brotherhood of the Rook, married Ella McCracken (also class of 1920) and settled next door at 1286 Wyandotte Road.

According to Robert's granddaughter, Melissa, he was not at all interested in the seed company business, and after spending time in the military, Robert ("Rancho," as he was known in school), joined the Grandview Fire Department in 1937. He soon moved to the police department, where he became known for his jodphurs worn when riding his Harley Davidson police motorcycle (shown here, with the house at 1296 Wyandotte in the background).

He became chief of police in 1943, and was further recognizable for his trademark white Stetson hat. Survived by his wife, Ella; son, Robert; and daughter, Barb (DeLong). Chief Livingston died in 1958.