Sohio, or Standard Oil of Ohio, the original Standard Oil company founded by John D. Rockefeller, was one of the successor companies to Standard Oil after the antitrust breakup in 1911. Starting around 1920, there were several Sohio stations established in the Grandview area, including this one.

This photo shows the Sohio station at the corner of Third and Grandview avenues, also known as the Grandview Tire and Battery Co. The building was razed in late 2006 to build the Heights of Grandview condominiums.

Sohio, or Standard Oil of Ohio, the original Standard Oil company founded by John D. Rockefeller, was one of the successor companies to Standard Oil after the antitrust breakup in 1911. Starting around 1920, there were several Sohio stations established in the Grandview area, including this one.

Others included West Third Avenue and Northwest Boulevard, until recently a used-car lot, after the station closed because of a gas leak in the underground tanks; West Fifth Avenue and Cambridge Boulevard, currently the Cambridge Tea House; and West First and Oakland avenues, currently the site of La Tavola.

Texaco had a station at First Avenue and Oxley Road, now a physician's office, and Pure Oil -- later Union Oil -- operated a station at Fifth Avenue and Northwest Boulevard, currently a Verizon store, and one at Fifth and Glenn avenues, now Valentino's Car Care.

Other auto-repair shops were located around Grandview, including the current sites of the Grandview Center and Third and Hollywood restaurant.