In 1932, the northeast corner of Grandview and Fifth avenues hosted a miniature golf course, built with cinder fairways. Stew Harrison was 34 when he bought the course and erected a 12-by-12-foot building -- the white section with the steeply sloped roof shown in this early 1950s photo -- which he called the Hamburger Construction Co.

In 1932, the northeast corner of Grandview and Fifth avenues hosted a miniature golf course, built with cinder fairways. Stew Harrison was 34 when he bought the course and erected a 12-by-12-foot building -- the white section with the steeply sloped roof shown in this early 1950s photo -- which he called the Hamburger Construction Co.

With his two-burner hot plate, he began making 4-inch hamburgers, which he sold for 10 cents. Over the next 24 years, he expanded the small building four times, adding a log structure -- the inset shows tables in that section of the building -- an extension to the east and a room to the north. He then renamed the business Stew Harrison's.

In 1956, he tore down all but three rooms and created a dining room, and by 1981 had 25 employees serving more than 400 meals a day. The restaurant closed in 1984, and the building was demolished to make way for what has been a string of fast-food restaurants and bars, with the Winking Lizard the latest business located on the site.

A tradition in the restaurant was to carve initials, devotions and other messages in the wood paneling and table tops. Many of these panels were preserved, and the historical society put several on display in 2014.